Sunday, December 13, 2009

Q-Tip: Rap is not pop, if you call it that than STOP!

I'll start this post giving respect where respect is due. Q-Tip from A Tribe Called Quest is a hip-hop legend. Period! The albums ATCQ made in the 90's were ground breaking and influenced so many artists and hip-hop fans (myself included). They were, and still are, some of my favorite albums and tracks. They are forever classics.

Also to give additional credit where credit is due Q-Tip is an amazing producer. A lot of people don't realize the extent of Q's production career. For starters he produced the first three ATCQ albums. Many think Ali produced the albums because he was the DJ, but they all belong to Q. The covers credit ATCQ because they wanted to represent the albums as a group vs. an individual effort (no man is bigger than the group). Very respectful. There's also the non ATCQ production from Q over the years: Nas, Cyprus Hill, Bush Babies, Mobb Deep, Busta Ryhmes, and the list goes on. He deserves his shine from all of that. In fact Q was voted the "Best Producer on the Mic" in an recent poll on www.unkut.com vs. the likes of Doom, RZA, Lord Finesse, Largo Pro and others. Q-Tip knows good music and knows how to make good music. So nuff said on that topic.

I won't touch heavily on his DJ skills & career as that's an entirely different topic and post. I'll say this much...he's come a long way, but has a long way to go but heavily relies on his name and industry connections. I have no doubt that in enough time he will become a very good DJ (never great)...but at the moment he gets an avg. rating from me which is much higher than the 'F' I gave him three years ago when he was spinning under the "Abstract" alias (because he knew he sucked I guess).

To get to the core of this post... Just because Q-Tip is a "Legend" is he above confrontation for becoming a crossover "pop" artist and going against his own words? Q-Tip's solo career has been nothing but Pop and R&B (or better named "Rappin Bullshit" by Q's Native Tongue brethren De La Soul).

I say no! He is not above being called out. No one is above criticism or confrontation in my world. I believe artists have the right and need to diversify to grow in order to make money and stay relevant in today's ever changing music industry. But in Q's case he goes against hip-hop principles and even worse his own words:

-Check the Rhime: "Rap is not pop, if you call it that then stop."
Need I reference more than the garbage track "Vivrant Thing"

-Buggin Out: "I know I'd be the man if I cold yanked the plug on R&B, but I can't and that's bugged"
Starting with the Last ATCQ album "The Love Movement" and quickly accelerating throughout his solo career every song I have heard has been Pop or Rappin Bullshit.

So I'm blowing the whistle and throwing the Yellow Flag on Q-Tip. Major Offense: "Hip-Hop Crossover - Unnecessary use of musical skills and talent just to make garbage pop music for the money". That's my opinion and that's how I'm calling it, but I welcome comments or counter arguments from the peanut gallery.

-AGROvate1

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis